One great and simple way to harness the power of LinkedIn is through the use of a custom profile URL. While I’ve had one for quite some time, lately I’ve found that many active LinkedIn users aren’t aware of the fact that you can create a custom profile URL. Not only does this make it easier to reinforce a consistent personal brand but it also allows you to have a LinkedIn link that is much easier to remember and will help with your ranking on Google and other search engines.
Instead of a URL with a bunch of random numbers, a custom URL will appear as http://www.linkedin.com/in/(yournamehere).
Why must I customise my Linkedin URL?
1. To make it SEO friendly and easier to discover and remember. A customised Linkedin URL is optimised for Google search engines as well as Linkedin searches.
2. Include a customized URL in your brand statement and brand signature.
3. A keyword based URL is always better than a confusing alphanumeric URL. Customised URLs are practiced by almost all Linkedin influencers, Brands and the “in-crowd” of the professional network.
How do I customise my Linkedin URL?
1. Click on the Profile link at the top of the homepage.
2. Next, click on the “Edit Profile” link under the profile photo. In case of the public profile page, click on the customise link for the public profile.
3. This will bring you to the custom URL option. Click on it.
4. Change your URL and save it.
5. Rename your URL based on the following criteria:
a. The name should be between 5 -30 characters, without symbols or spaces.
b. It is a good practice to create a unique name that incorporates keywords that are used by your target audience.
c. Be sure to renew the customised URL every 180 days. You can create a list of URL names to use in rotation according to the service or role you wish to currently promote.
d. Consider using items such as awards and accreditations after your name
NB. While this will benefit you from a search engine standpoint, it may take some time for the search engines to reflect this change. Typically, it happens in a day or two, but it could take longer.
How can I best use a custom URL?
1. Include it in all relevant social media profiles, professional communications and promotional content.
2. Embed your URL in relevant keywords and statements so that it directs the audience to your profile with one single click.
3. If your URL is short, you can add the name to the list of keywords used in naming your photo and banner picture.
4. Business cards are another tool where Linkedin URLS are most helpful.
5. Include your LinkedIn URL on your CV and in your cover letters when you’re applying for a job.
A custom URL will help to increase the overall visibility of your LinkedIn account and will make it easier for you to share how to find you on LinkedIn. Remember, building a durable brand online requires both frequency and consistency.
For bespoke social media marketing advice to take full advantage of the opportunities available to you via #LinkedIn, schedule an initial phone consultation here: https://calendly.com/melaniegoodmantrevisan/call